This online program consists of a series of six critical thinking modules designed for healthcare professionals who want to enhance their ACP facilitation skills.
For individual purchases, click here to purchase and receive immediate access to your online learning
If you are a Respecting Choices Instructor purchasing online seats, you will also need to submit a course request at www.respectingchoices.org/instructors. You will receive online learning access information after you have submitted the course request.
- To assist individuals in learning the skills to facilitate basic advance care planning discussions and to create written plans that can be communicated to others.
- To assist individuals to enhance their advance care planning facilitation skills for patients with progressive illnesses and to develop strategies to implement an effective advance care planning program
- State the differences between advance care planning and advance directives
- Describe the components of the advance care planning process
- Differentiate the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of advance directives
- Utilize strategies to engage individuals in understanding the importance of basic advance care planning
- Assist adults in selecting an appropriate healthcare agent
- State the components of a basic advance care planning discussion
- Assess individual needs and concerns regarding healthcare decision-making and involve others as necessary
- Assist individuals in completing a written advance directive that complies with legal or organizational requirements
- Assist individuals in completing a written advance directive that adequately reflects their goals, values, and beliefs
- Use appropriate strategies to assist individuals in discussing and communicating written advance directives
- Understand the specific issues involved in facilitating advance care planning discussions with adults who have chronic, progressive illness
- Assist individuals in understanding the benefits and burdens of life-sustaining treatments specific to their illness and involve other professionals as necessary
- Assist individuals in understanding the range of options available, that is when to start, when to forgo, how to maintain comfort, and involve other professionals as necessary
- Assist individuals (adults likely to die in the next 12 months or adults living in long-term care) in understanding the benefits and burdens of common life-sustaining treatments or involve other professionals as necessary
- Assist individuals (adults likely to die in the next 12 months or adults living in long-term care) in understanding the range of options available, when to start and forgo treatment, how to maintain comfort, or when to involve other professionals as necessary
- Use the Living Well Interview to assess an individual's goals, fears, and concerns
- Examine the systems to document and communicate preferences for life-sustaining treatment especially for adults living in long-term care
- Describe the following three elements of a successful advance care planning program:
- Develop organization and community systems and practices
- Design patient and community education and engagement
- Develop a continuous quality improvement approach to measuring advance care planning outcomes
After completing all six modules and the evaluation, you will receive access to print a continuing education certificate for 9.4 contact or clock hours.
Planners have an employment relationship with Gundersen Medical Foundation, Inc. We are a provider of the program, but we do not endorse any commercial products in conjunction with this program. Off-label use of any products will not be discussed.
Bernard J. Hammes, PhD; Linda Briggs, MS, MA, RN; Angela Page, MSN, RN; Irene Teneyck, MSW
There is no commercial support for this program.
Contact hours: RNs and Social Workers receive 9.4 contact hours/clock hours upon completion of the course.
Refunds are not available for online seats. You will receive the online learning modules using an access code. The access code is valid for two years from the purchase date. Once the access code has been redeemed, you will have one year to complete and/or review the modules.